Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Reading iz good for your smarticles.

For as long as I can remember(which unless it's completely useless information it's not much) I have loved reading. My favorite book up until 1st grade was Bedtime for Sleepy Squirrell. I re-read it the other day and can't remember why kindergarten me thought it was the best book ever, but it was. I would read all day, everyday if I could(damn housework, laundry, cooking and farmville!) I pretty much read anything as long as it looks interesting. I tend to not like books filled with graphic sex scenes, well, because that means that the writer is either A)writing about personal sex experiences(EWW) or B) writing about the kind of sex they want to have(double eww) I would prefer not to know about the writers sex life or what kind of sex life they would prefer.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this blog about reading and books is because I was dusting my bookshelf(yeah I sometimes do that) and I found my book "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein. I used to read that book over and over again growing up. To this day, The Giving Tree is my most favorite book. I thought about how I would go to bed and take my little lamp and just read for hours before I fell asleep. First grade, I think I read every single Boxcar children books that they had. Well what bothers me immensely is that none of my kids seem interested in reading at all. I mean the girls do it when they have to, and Jack and Mush like to have me read to them every night but they do it more or less so they get to stay up longer and not go to sleep. When I was Lily's age, I always had my nose stuck in some kind of book. Not because I had to, but because I loved reading. She does not share my love of reading. At all. As for Hailey...well, I think she would like reading if she followed the story instead of just reading the words. Maybe they will grow into it. Or maybe they just got their father's lack of reading love(lets put it this way, usually he reads magazines, and well more magazines. About video games)(yeah I know I married a video game nerd) I went online and found a whole bunch of books that I used to read when I was their age and I ordered them. Needless to say, I have read them more than the girls have. Sadz. Alright, thats all for now. I can hear laundry calling for me(or I need to harvest my crops on farmville)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah that does suck. 2 1/2 of my 4 like to read....I say that because Carrington claims to like to read, but actually getting her to read the books she checks out at the library is a chore. Once I get her to read the book she loves it...it is just the battle to get her to turn off the tv. ugh. Oh and my husband doesn't read unless it is the Bible or baseball stats. Although I did get him to read Hulk Hogan's new book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lurve reading too. Maybe that's why we blog too? Reading others stuff, documenting our own... I dunno.
    The other day, I was making a comment to a couple of "friends" (I use quotes so Nell doesn't yell at me) and they both were like I never read, it's boring, I would rather watch tv...Um, wow. That freaking sucks! I look forward to my nights reading in bed!

    ReplyDelete